Monday, May 17, 2010

Demo - Grisaille Using Water-Soluable Pencil - At Loose Ends

I've been working on new art for ConQuesT (Kansas City, Memorial Day Weekend) and SoonerCon (Oklahoma City, first weekend of June). I love a deadline, or as Douglas Adams, one of my favorite authors, said -- "I love the sound a deadline makes as it whooshes by my head." So much to do, so little time.

One of my first steps is the underpainting or "grisaille" -- developing the tonal qualities of the painting in monochrome using a watercolor pencil.  I then go back over the piece with layers of watercolor and, sometimes, ink.

The image at right is an in-progress shot of this process. On this piece, title "At Loose Ends", I used a Faber Castell Albrecht Durer water-soluable color pencil in Mauve, manipulated with a Niji water brush. Later, I applied Daniel Smith watercolors in Rich Green Gold, Quin Burnt Orange, and French Ultramarine.

"At Loose Ends", 2.5 x 3.5 inches, ACEO, watercolor, watercolor pencil, and ink. (c) 2009 Allison Stein

No comments: