Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Pretty Cleo, 2.5"x3.5" ACEO, watercolor on 140# Arches
"Pretty Cleo" is another attempt at an image I posted a few months ago. She's a cutie, isn't she?
The Twilight Castle, 2.5"x3.5" ACEO, watercolor and watercolor pencil on 140# Canson
This ACEO started as I contemplated castles and landscapes. I need to start adding more environments to my work. My imagination apparently inhabits a barren, rocky world that has specatular sunsets.
Smokey Joe, 2.5"x3.5" ACEO on 3"x4" paper, watercolor on 140# Canson
"Smokey Joe" started as a practice piece, experimenting with wet-in-wet on Canson paper. He's such a well-mannered kitty.
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
(bottom) Purple Princess With Wand, 5x7, watercolor on 140# Arches
I started these two paintings several months ago, but abandoned them. They seemed weak, washed out, and a little cartoon-y. Last weekend I gave them a fresh look. I decided they needed some depth of color, some contrast in tone, and some detail. So, I darkened the darks, built up some depth in the shadows, and added some detail to the face and dress.
They are still in search of a name. She's still in search of a name. For now, she's known as the Purple Princess, even though the one with the wand is a little misshapen, like a fairy godmother who has seen better days.
Monday, November 19, 2007
Sunday, September 16, 2007
Two of my dragon doodles, done while at my artist alley table at Archon/Nasific in August. The size got away from me. They were intended to be ACEOs, but they got too big for their britches.
Friday, September 7, 2007
Wednesday, September 5, 2007
Who? Me?, 4" x 6" watercolor on Arches 140#
I'm back! After an incredibily busy summer with back-to-back art shows, science fiction conventions, and work-related travel, I'm back in my studio and putting brush to paper. Feels good.
Here's a quick little painting, titled "Who? Me?", inspired by a silly cat photo I found on the Internet. It's 4" x 6" on Arches 140#. Looks like I need more practice with perspective.
This painting is an OSWA, which is an acronym for "Original Small Work of Art". That means it is a standard 4" x 6" size and will fit in standard photo albums and frames. Like ACEOs, the OSWA size standard is becoming all the rage on Ebay and other art websites.
Red Peppers 1, 2, & 3, 4" x 6" watercolors on Arches
Here are three different approaches to painting part of a red bell pepper.
Red Pepper 1 relies on the reds and yellows to create depth and shadow.
Red Pepper 2 relies on the blues and purples for shadowing, but I think it feels "labored".
In Red Pepper 3, I stopped trying so hard and slapped paint where ever it "felt" right. And then I stopped. I think I like this one the best.
Monday, April 30, 2007
Sunday, April 29, 2007
Purple Gargoyle Needs A Name, 8" x 10" watercolor on Arches 140#
Edit: His name is "Night Guardian"
I LOVE this guy! I'm really happy with him. I believe the paper made all the difference. Arches is the absolute best! I also used quinacrodone pigments, which are incredibly transparent -- quin gold on the moon, belly, and wings; quin violet in the body. I used hooker's green for underpainting, but I won't do that again. I'm not completely happy with its effect as a complementary color.
Another Cliff-Dwelling Dragon, 15" x 19" watercolor on Canson 140#
This is the largest painting I've done so far. The background when in quickly and easily, but I labored on the dragon a bit too much. As it stands, this will be my centerpiece in my ConQuesT art show display in late May. He might become a print, as well.
Sunday, April 15, 2007
Saturday, April 14, 2007
I'm really intrigued by his eyes. I'm not sure how I'm going to keep their expressiveness when I apply color to the pupil.
Sunday, April 8, 2007
Sunday, April 1, 2007
Sitting Pretty On A Wall, 8x10 watercolor on Arches 140#
Sunday, March 11, 2007
Sunday, February 25, 2007
I worked on this piece in my last two watercolor classes. The goal was to learn to build depth through layers of color, and to build a wet-in-wet background. It is loosely based on an iguana, but not intended to be realistic.
Sunday, February 4, 2007
Class was cancelled this past week due to bad weather. My teacher suggested I use reference photos of reptiles in sketching my dragon critters. This grumpy little guy was inspired by a photo of an inquisitive little lizard perching on a flower bush. This isn't a realistic portrait, but I feel good about the facial expression and the round little belly. The icky weather also inspired my use watercolor pencils for color instead of my usual graphite. The water made the paper buckle, as you can see on the left side.
Two Landscapes, 4"x5", Watercolor on Arches 140#
These two paintings are my homework assignment from my watercolor class. The goal was to paint a landscape using tone and value and only three colors. In this case, I used cobalt, viridian, and gamboge on the top/blue one, and cobalt, quin rose, and ultramarine on the bottom/purple one.
The paper makes a tremendous difference. I did a series of practice pieces on 90# Canson, but it felt as if the pigment was sliding off the paper. On the 140# Arches, the pigment gripped the paper better and stayed put.